Thursday, June 30, 2011

Adam Family Kids... an update



Well, it has been almost two weeks now since Lowell left the Adam family kids to their own devices aboard the sturdy s/v Libertatia. And I have to say, it has been a blast. We have been sailing regularly, making a trip from Lahaina, Maui down to Makena Beach, Maui and back the next day. We have sailed up the west coast of Maui and then back to Lahaina. We went to Kaunakaki, Molokai and then just returned to Lahaina yesterday. While handling the boat with just two people forces us to be more aware and a bit more cautious, I think we have adapted quite well and are still even able to practice such old seamanship exercises as anchoring under sail and using the mizzen main to back on the anchor. All that said, I have to throw it out there, living with brother again after so many years is pretty weird. Good, but also weird. If you had told me five years ago that I would find myself living aboard a 76 year old wooden sailboat with my brother, I would have bust a gut laughing. But here I am! And like I said above, it is blast and, in all seriousness, an experience that I will probably treasure for the rest of my life.

As you can see in my other posts we have been staying very busy, with the highlight of the past few weeks definitely being getting to see and hangout with the folks from the voyaging vakas. Aside from that however, we have been getting lots of projects done on the boat, fixing some rigging situations, fixing the plumbing on our water tanks, getting the oven back in working order, improving our organization and storage situations, inventorying everything from our spice cabinet to our spare lines, fixing our sewing machine and soon (probably tomorrow) doing some overdue sail repair. Also when we were on Moloka'i we had the good fortune to see and hang out with some fellow cruisers from the S/V Seanote. Thanks to them for their friendship, stories, and hospitality, I can't wait to see them again!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment